[ft-l] Fw: Accuracy of Garmin "Field" GPS Units

Joe Dabes kabjnd at msn.com
Mon Dec 21 18:55:52 CST 2009

Sandy, the Navigator (and others),

Good to hear from you.  Yes, GPS technology has progressed greatly, and you do get what you pay for.  The cheaper Etrex GPS units are not worth spending any $ on.

Citrus Tract of Withlacoochee S. F. -- I love the trails there!  Well thought out trails with four loops, and nice backpacking campsites.  I have spent probably 50 days in the last six years backpacking, camping, and hiking there.  Not much water anywhere there, but that mean no mosquitoes.  For backpacking I leave water (and beer) drops near the backpacking campsites.

Joan, the non-techie, asked what kind of animals I saw.  Well, I saw one 50-pound animal plenty -- Pumpkin, one of our two Golden Retrievers, along for the two hikes and camping out with me.  She flushed a giant gobbler turkey and a couple of deer.  And I enjoy the abundant long leaf pines, live oaks, and turkey oaks along the trail, along with winter flowers.

Java Joe