[Cdt-l] An analytical question

bcss at bresnan.net bcss at bresnan.net
Wed Feb 29 22:23:05 CST 2012

Too much planning...

The only things I would get preoccupied with preparation wise is food,
shelter, and clothing. I sure wouldn't try to figure out where to camp every
night. For the most part, there is abundant water. Just go and when you have
had enough look for water and a campsite.

The exception is the dry section between Tank 7 creek and Razor Creek of
about 15 miles that you should plan for. (More like 11 miles if you hike a
mile off-trail to Baldy Lake.)

My suggestion is to start early. Get up early, start hiking early, and go
until you get want to stop or get stopped by weather. Weather complications
generally happen in the afternoons after 1:00 so a good morning will really
move you along. Almost anybody can hike 2 miles per hour. Start at 7 and you
will have 10 miles by noon. If you want to hike 10 hours per day you can
knock out 18-20 miles, be done by 6, and still have time for a little
relaxation...

best wishes,

Jerry Brown
mailto:bcss at bresnan.net