[Cdt-l] ICT

Jim and_or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 15 19:01:12 CST 2012

Jim and I intended to thruhike the ICT the year Brian did the trail.  We bought all the maps, contacted the folks who created the route, and did what research we could on the trail.  At that time, it had been section hiked by a few people who lived in Idaho and were able to use local resources to assist with resupply (e.g. Fish and Game wardens, local rafting companies) but never thruhiked.  Biggest issues are the southernmost section, which has 100 miles with only one certain water source (it was recommended we bicycle it) and the Salmon River Wilderness area, where I had planned to follow an alternate jeep route to a town where we could do a maildrop, otherwise it was something like 200 miles between resupply options.  Unfortunately, that was the year Jim broke a rib in a fall, then his knee went really bad.  The long steep descents on the trail weren't going to be good for either his rib or his knee so we postponed the trip.  Since the replacement knee went bad, we'll probably never do the hike, but it did look like an interesting one.  There is a good video about the ICT that was put out by Idaho Public Television. I don't know if it's still available, but you used to be able to buy it for about $20.   ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/