[cdt-l] An alcohol stove for two -

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 27 13:34:44 CST 2006

Jim and I are never separated when we hike.  Our paces are similar enough
that is not a problem.  I'm faster on the uphill, he is faster on the
downhill, but it evens out, and we never mind waiting for the other.  Gives
us a chance to admire the scenery.  If you and your partner have different
paces or different styles (i.e. early riser vs. late riser) it can be a
problem to stay together. Your choices will be different than ours.

On the CDT, if you get separated for any time at all, you are right, you had
better be prepared to camp alone. It is too easy to lose the trail or take
different trails.  You read about that in journals all the time.  How long
do you wait for your friend at a trail junction before you accept that they
probably aren't on the trail you are following?  Do you go back for them, to
check to see if they are injured?  Are they just relaxing and enjoying the
day, or is there something to worry about?  It can be a problem trying to
figure out how close a partnership you intend to have and at what point you
need to call out S&R. Are you partners or just hiking parallel?  Non
committed partners should definitely be prepared to be independent.

If I were hiking with someone I wasn't married to, I would be fully
independent.  I was on the AT, even after Jim and I became partners in PA,
because our partnership was still new enough that we weren't sure how long
it would last.  I think couples are different though.  We are committed to
the partnership and it is not likely to break up (at least, I hope not.)
Since we really do intend to stay together for the entire hike, we make the
extra effort to stay within sight and sound of each other. We don't need
extra gear because we are never likely to camp apart - which is a real
weight savings.  In case of serious injury, I doubt that either of us woudl
be likely to stop to cook while running for help, so that really isn't an
issue.  Because of the bear issue, we aren't even all that likely to leave a
partner behind, unless they are unconscious and immovable.  Hasn't happened
yet though, so  I don't know. Every injury we've had has been something we
could walk out.  In any case, for us, we only take one stove, one first aid
kit, one camera, one filter, one tent, etc.  It's all we need.

Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/