[cdt-l] hiker-centric CDT cartography

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Tue Dec 19 21:44:18 CST 2006

I think eventually, this is where maps for the CDT, and/or other trails are
headed. However, while there are some solutions today - like the wiki
approach - I think there's still some way to go on this. And those are
mostly text-based community-content applications (It may work for something
like a traditional trail guide book however).

I don't think the .tpo solution will work for most people. That's a
proprietary format, and would require that anyone buy ~$400 of maps to
either contribute or get it to work.

I think (hope?) what will eventually happen is that someone like google will
buy a company like topozone, etc. and merge that service with something like
google earth (or just home-grow it themselves). If they also added a GUI
.kml editor, it'd be a killer application and perfect for this kind of
thing.

Google earth already has what amounts to a giant bitmap photo of the US, so
why not add a layer of the USGS 1:24:000 quads? Or other USGS scales? I just
hope they wouldn't make it a part of their for-pay service only.

I drew the CDT in .kml last year, and it is possible to do things like add
notes, alt routes, photos, overlays, etc. to this file, but doing so
requires a bunch of coding, and I don't have the time to tackle that... and
I doubt many others do either. It also makes future edits a real bear. It
would be a lot easier with a GUI .kml editor. But, such an editor would have
to directly interface to google earth so you could see what you're drawing
on top of - so I think google would have to create it. To see what I did,
you can click here:
http://www.phlumf.com/cdt/cdtkml.htm

Anyway, specifically to Bliterfree - I think you're quite familiar with all
this as I believe you did the GET in .kml... and fancier job than I did with
the CDT!

.kml could be where .html was in 1993 wrt/ editors. Or, it could be a
dead-end proprietary format - who knows? Actually, I don't think such an
editor would be such a difficult thing to create. It wouldn't be much
different than some of the tools included with the topoUSA series maps,
which have been around for years.

The one thing that concerns me about this kind of solution is that it would
then be dependent on a private corporation. Google could go bankrupt, get
bought, or change their market strategy and "poof"! there goes the
neighborhood.

-Jonathan