[cdt-l] North South Trail (OT)

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 16:45:39 CST 2006

Paul thanks for this. I didn't realize Bill Bryson had hiked
the NS-T (or so it seems judging by the excerpted humor).

> The trail starts at a beach and ends in the woods at
> the Mass border..and the mid-state trail. From there,
> you can hook up to the M&M trail(and I believe)
> connect all the way up to Monadnock in southern New
> Hampshire.

To anyone who hasn't hit the delete key yet, I actually
believe it's the Wapack Trail that connects to the Midstate
Trail, although the Metacomet-Monadnock Trail is another
option for reaching New Hampshire's Mt Monadnock
(purportedly the most climbed mountain in the world after Mt
Fuji).

>From Mt Monadnock, one can then follow the Monadnock-Sunapee
Greenway to Mt Sunapee, and with a little inventive mapwork
connect with the AT or LT.

New England is actually riddled with obscure, little-hiked
long-distance routes, some old, some new. Chalk it up to a
centuries-old legacy of trail building, a once eager base of
interest in walking for recreation and pleasure, and a now
overpopulated landscape that nevertheless holds onto
vestiges of open space. The hiking routes are on the ground,
and on the maps, but these days it is truly the odd bird
that travels any distance along them on foot.

My 48 hr thru-hike attempt of the 75 mile North-South Trail
ended in total failure only a few miles from the beach.
November of '01. It got dark. The way ahead was not marked.
I scuttled over to the nearest road in search of a Dunkin
Donuts.

>>Being RI, it actually goes by a few Dunkin Donuts!

Actually that's not true... yet.  :)

- bf

Simblissity Ultralight :: One-of-a-Kind Designs for the
Great Outdoors
www.simblissity.net