[cdt-l] Bruce Ward

Bruce Ward bruce at cdtrail.org
Tue Dec 5 18:44:26 CST 2006

I am the Executive Director of the Continental Divide Trail Alliance
along with my wife Paula. We founded the organization 11 years ago and
have been able to recruit thousands of volunteers to dedicate their time
and resources to complete the Trail. I also served on the board of
directors of the American Hiking Society and as their first president.
In addition my wife and I organized Colorado Trails Day as a model of
National Trails Day and I served as the first national coordinator of
that effort.

My primary form of enjoying the backcountry is hiking, I mountain bike
with my 15 and 11 year old children on occasion, horseback ride when
friends invite me and am an avid backcountry skier.

If the CDT is not championed by those of us who have a deep affection
for and connection to the land there will be no Trail for future
generations. I'm sure Benton Mackaye felt the same about the AT 100
years ago.

It's time that people recognize that we all must welcome and encourage
others to enjoy the type of recreation we enjoy. The times they are a
changing and it's time we all embraced the concept of No Child Left
Indoors.

Bruce Ward

Executive Director

Continental Divide Trail Alliance