[cdt-l] CDT Mapping Effort

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 4 13:46:00 CST 2006

The ultimate value of an "official" set of CDT maps is
as Jonathan stated earlier: With an official trail on
the ground, much easier to point to something and
saying "THIS needs protection".

I imagine most govt officials, land owners, etc. want
something tangiable to deal with.

A trail that is "official" on paper rather than
nebulous corridor makes for much easier trail advocacy
and protection. You can't protect something
(realistically) that does not "officially" exist.

As for HIKING the CDT, suspect there will be a few
"purists" who stick to what is on the map. But, the
nature of people who hike the CDT, the open terrain,
the different options and various other reasons
(weather, fires, plagues of locusts) will make a long
hike on the CDT an open-ended adventure for most.

The trail may be "official" on paper for much needed
trail protection and advocacy; but a journey on the
CDT I suspect will still be the most open-ended of the
big three trails for quite some time to come. The CDT
runs through some the largest expanse of public land
and will not be hemmed into a narrow corridor like the
AT and to a lesser extent like the PCT.

HYOH, just my .02, YMMV, etc.

(Still unpacking! One of these days..will get my
computer up and running..and get my photos posted!!!!)